ALTERNATIVESPeople who have not been in Narnia sometimes think that a thing cannot be good and terrible at the same time. -- C.S. Lewis
Low Energy Neurofeedback System (LENS)
For many of my clients, adding neurofeedback to our work can be very helpful. Neurofeedback is a type of biofeedback – a technique that measures bodily functions, gives you information about them and then helps train you to control them. Neurofeedback measures brain waves to produce a signal that can be used as feedback to teach self-regulation of brain function. It has been used effectively for many years. The type of neurofeedback I provide – Low Energy Neurofeedback System (LENS) – has been in use since 1990.
Some of the issues addressed by LENS are as follows:
- Cognition – Problems sequencing, memory, providing and maintaining attention, concentration, clarity and organization.
- Mood – Anger, sadness, explosiveness.
- Motor – Lack of grace, problems of eye-hand coordination, balance, increased muscle tone (from spasticity) and tremor.
- Motivation – Problems initiating tasks, shifting from one activity to another, and/or completing tasks.
- Anxiety – Restlessness, rumination, agitation, distractibility, difficulty breathing, palpitations, tremor exacerbation, and sleep interruption.
- Reactivity – Hyper-reactivity, hypersensitivity, multiple chemical sensitivities.
- Addictions/Dependencies – Lack of clarity about emotions and self-comforting, defensiveness, argumentativeness and cynicism.
- Performance Optimization – Increases in functioning in the above areas in absence of any diagnosis.
- Central nervous system functioning – problems associated with brain injury, stroke and fibromyalgia.
- Animal Behaviors – mental/emotional problems with cats, dogs, horses and even chickens!
LENS measures and records electrical brain signals via the scalp using sensors. Those frequencies are then sent back (feedback) to the brain. The signals are very weak, much weaker than a cell phone. They are not visible and you will not be able to feel them. LENS helps your brainwaves to become more regulated. When your brain is more regulated, YOU are more regulated!
No significant side effects have been associated with LENS. However, due to the improvement of brain functioning using LENS, medications you take may be effected. Often the need for the medications decreases and so you may need to consult with your prescribing doctor to begin reducing the dosage. Another noted possibility is a temporary increase of the symptoms already present (a feeling of being “tired or wired”). If this occurs, we will adjust the dosage of LENS.
LENS works much quicker than other forms of neurofeedback and requires no participation from the person receiving the treatment. This means it works for those who can’t sit still or have attention problems. There is nothing to learn or “do”. Generally the person feels nothing during a treatment. Reduction in symptoms can occur as quickly as one session with an average of 6-20 sessions for complete symptom reduction. Unless injury occurs, the change is permanent.
Please visit www.ochslabs.com for more information about this incredible form of therapy.